- Annual Conference & Exhibit
The League’s Annual Conference & Exhibit is largest event in the state geared specifically toward the needs of Iowa’s elected and appointed municipal officials. Held in September of each year, the conference includes workshops, an exhibit hall and unique networking opportunities. Due to its broad appeal, the conference is attended by nearly 500 officials each year.
- Budget Workshops
The Budget Workshops are designed for city clerks and finance officers, but are open to all city officials. The workshops, which take place in November and December of each year, provide the information necessary to build a strong foundation of budget knowledge and provide an overview of state requirements for the budget process.
- Municipal Leadership Academy (MLA)
The Municipal Leadership Academy (MLA) is presented biannually through a partnership of the Iowa League of Cities, Office of State and Local Government Programs at Iowa State University and the Institute of Public Affairs at the University of Iowa. This is the only workshop designed specifically for the needs of newly elected city officials in Iowa.
- Small City Workshops
Each summer, the League hosts Small City Workshops across the state. The topics and information presented at these workshops are geared toward the specific needs of Iowa's small cities, although anyone is welcome to attend.
- Legislative Day
- Each winter, League members gather in the Capitol City to hear key legislators and the League legislative staff discuss hot topics and state legislative issues affecting cities. Attendees of the event are also encouraged to visit their legislators at the Capitol.
- City Finance 101
- This interactive session will give the participants tools to understand financial information to make better decisions about budget, projects and safeguarding the assets of your community.
- Leadership Summit
- This two-day event will provide city leaders an opportunity to gather and discuss upcoming opportunities and ongoing challenges facing cities. The event will focus on how leadership at the local level can better address contemporary issues in government.